Friday, July 3, 2009

Is common sense too much to ask of a film?

I had a blast watching Transformers: Revenge Of The Fallen in theaters but I couldn't help but notice how a lot of things in the film made no sense at all. Five days later I was back in the cinema, I received my share of entertainment once more but again, the problems were too hard to ignore. I noticed many flaws in my first viewing, but even more in the second...


Problems I had in the first viewing:


Megan Fox's pants. There's an explosion and she comes flying out of the dust and then lands on an unstable surface and falls through that to the dusty ground. A few seconds later she is seen running with perfectly, perfectly clean pants. The next shot of her shows her pants somewhat dirty though.

When the Decepticons go down to revive Megatron, there are five of them. That guy [whoever he was] said there was five. Then, when they get to the bottom of the ocean they destroy one of the Decepticons for spare parts. So when Megatron arises with the remaining four, the same guy who originally said there was five, now says there's six. Well wait a minute now, I'm going to do a little bit of math and I hope I don't confuse anyone. If I have five Transformers, then subtract one, then add another one.... Doesn't that mean I still have five Transformers? Help me out a little bit if my math is fuzzy...


If The Fallen is a Prime, and he can only be killed by another Prime, then wouldn't the same rule apply for Optimus Prime? If so, then how was Megatron able to kill him?


When Megan Fox walks in on Shia supposedly cheating on her, I couldn't help but wonder, how did she get there? She was talking to him on the phone as he was running through the campus, obviously going back up to his room. She said she'd get on a plane and be there later in the afternoon. So Shia gets back to his room, and two minutes later, surprise surprise Mikaela [Fox] is there. So in about two or three minutes Megan Fox used her super-powers to fly there.


Ok, that entire action sequence in the beginning, come on now. That was seen by thousands of people and there were obviously many casualties along with hundreds of millions of dollars in damage. Yet this was somehow still kept underwraps? Hmm.....Doubtful.


I'm sure you all remember that Decepticon who pretended to be a chick and hit on Shia. In the beginning of the film, Ironhide said he could smell the Decepticon. If that's true, then why the hell didn't Bumblebee recognize her when she was literally sitting inside of him? Riiiiight. I'm sure Bay just wanted to keep the suspense going until it's revealed that she's an alien, only for the audience to be SHOCKED, utterly utterly SHOCKED because it wasn't that obvious from the start that she wasn't human.


When those creatures go inside Shia's head to examine his brain, all that green, goo-like substance came out of his mouth. But a few seconds later he was babbling on [again] and all the stuff was gone. What did it vaporize in 4 seconds? Magic I tell ya.


I couldn't help but wonder...Why do all these robots speak English? Optimus Prime said they learned the English language through radio signals in Transformers. So two things... 1. Why do they speak to each other in English, instead of their native tongue and 2., which is beyond laughable, how does "The Fallen" know how to speak English? In Revenge Of The Fallen he stated that he had never heard of Earth, so if he doesn't even know about this planet yet then how the hell does he know how to speak the main language there? Man if only the writers of Schindler's List, The Shawshank Redemption, and Citizen Kane were this bright, huh Hunter?


This was possibly the most hideous thing I've ever seen, Shia injuring his hand. Now we all knew that at some point in the film he was going to injure his hand, but I never could have imagined that Bay would do such a bad job at bringing that into the story. So Shia crash lands in the desert. He doesn't appear to be injured at all, he even gets up and starts running. A few seconds later Megan Fox had somehow pulled a first aid kit out of her rear and bandaged Shia's severely wounded hand. That scene transcended awfulness.


Now, additional problems I noticed on my second viewing: [This time in IMAX]



When they go to the Smithsonian space museum, they have their little conversation with a senior citizen Decepticon, only to go out to the back of the museum and wah-la, they're in a completely new place. The front of the museum shows the area to be urban, but when they exit the museum, they've suddenly jumped to a completely new state that makes them look like they're on a farm.


Megatron is revived by the stolen piece of the "All Spark". There are only two pieces of it remaining, the one mentioned above and the piece that Shia found in his self proclaimed "Superbowl jersey". Now, if the piece of the All Spark from B-14 can bring Megatron back to life, then why can't Shia's piece bring Optimus Prime back to life? He goes on this ridiculous journey to find "The Matrix of leadership" that could do the same damn thing as the little sliver of scrap metal in Megan Fox's purse.


Now you can call me a hater, or a flat out cynic but I dare anyone to read the post above and tell me they grade this film an A. If common sense is too much to ask of a film, then I'll gladly be the cynic in this situation. Everyone I've talked to says they just go to the film to see an action film, to watch the explosions, see the giant alien robots fighting, to watch Megan Fox run in slow-motion. However I'm sorry but that's not me. When I see a film I don't just pay attention, I analyze it to the best of my ability from every aspect of film that I can. I don't hand out A's or even B's to films like this, I'm not your average dumb moviegoer who eats up anything big budget Hollywood spits out. Will I fail the film? No, because it fulfilled it's job at being immensely entertaining. But can I possibly give it a good grade when I can see through the film for what it really is, a mindless [literally] explosion fest? The answer to that question should be, and always will be, a resounding NO.

No comments:

Post a Comment